Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Ranchwife

I'm doing SID on my log cabin right now. To make 4 concentric squares on a 9.5 inch square piece takes me about 10 minutes per square. You go too fast, and you get out of the ditch. So because of the time and concentration to do it correctly, it is not a cop out. But I guess I used to see it as a cop out because it isn't as creative as FMQ. It is just following a line where FMQ requires an artistic hand. There are is so much emphasis put on FMQ that many of us have become warped as to what the art is about - the process of creating something beautiful even if it isn't FMQ. I've learned that although I'm really good at some parts of quilting, I don't have an artistic hand at all to do FMQ. I have to draw on all the patterns. So, I will stick with SID, top stitching, and very simple lines that can be done by hand or machine. In the end, it is the end product that matters. So, like others have stated, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and creator. I would ignore her comments and continue doing what you are comfortable with and can afford (I can't afford long arm either - which runs $200-300 here).