View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
toolazy

For what it's worth, Yael: There is no law that prescribes 1/4" seam allowances on quilts. If everything fits together or can be tweaked to fit together, who cares what the exact measure is? Folks have already said that.

Now looky here. I've completed 5-6 quilts. None of them used a 1/4" seam allowance. Mostly they used 1/2". That's what I felt like using, I cut my pieces for that allowance, and it worked fine. Of the two quilts I'm working on now, one is using mostly 1/2", and one is using 1/4" except for the piece I'll probably cut at 1/2" because I want a little leeway there.

And the one that's mostly using 1/4"? I didn't measure it. I'm not going to measure it. I'm using the 1/4" line on the sewing machine plate and whatever thread I happen to have that's strong enough and not so fat as to cause big lumps. The stuff that needs to fit, fits.

If I were hand quilting (as I intend to do on one of the current projects), I might want to trim any big seams down to 1/4" so there's less in the way. My previous quilts with the humongous seam allowances were machine quilted, by me, with no difficulty whatsoever.

The seam allowance doesn't make the quilt. YOU do, and you're making a beautiful one.