View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 AM
scrapbeagle

I wish I also knew how to advise you. We just brought our car in for fixing of hail damage from a hail storm that hit us in February. From what I gathered through our learning process in this ordeal, if the amount of damage to the hood, roof and trunk is more than the car is worth, they are totaling the cars. You can buy back the totaled car, but your title will say it is "salvaged" and you probably would not be able to insure it for comprehensive insurance, but I think you would be okay with liability insurance. My car is nine years old and my teenage son drives this car so I was holding my breathe hoping they would not total it. It is the perfect starter car for him. Luckily, they did not total it but the damage was over $3500.00 and they are doing the paintless dent removal process so no parts are having to be replaced. There are several people with brand new cars that have over $12,000.00 worth of damage and they are not totaling the cars but replacing hoods, trunks, etc.

Check with your insurance agent and also your state requirements because everybody is different.

I wish you lot's of luck!