Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Oh so much to catch up on! The sun is shining--Day 2! From my office window I have a view of SFarm heifers enjoying a soak in the sun today just east of our house. At least they aren't running up the road towards "home"! I'll soon head out and see what yard work I can attempt. DH is so tired of cold and now mud. Takes extra bedding for young livestock in pens. Our heifer that was to go to PA this week on a trailer came down with a high temp. Talked to new owner and we are keeping her for another 6 weeks when they will come and pick her up. Neither party wants to risk a 4 month old heifer getting sicker.
Janie--do you have hand projects lined up for your family care visits? (I know I have a pretty one!)
mirabelle--been watching a NOVA special on our PBS about the formation of Australia. I really enjoy documentaries like this and gets me to sit down and hand sew while waiting for DH to come in from the barn.
Jan--I see several have suggested good ideas for you to preserve that "perfect" block. I was thinking along the same lines. Mid century Modern huh? A great age to be. Check to see if there is "Heywood-Wakefield" mark on the bottom of the chairs. Usually that type of furniture was made with hardrock maple and HW was a well known manufacturer of fine furniture of that era. How do I know? I have my mom's HW dining table and buffet from the late 60's. If they are in good shape don't paint them. Your grand kids will thank you!
Furniture styles--hmm When we were first married I called it EA--Early attic for that's what it was--leftovers from someone else. Should've kept that chrome table with the yellow top (was replaced by Mom's table)--someone would surely want that now to put in a retro styled kitchen with red accents.
Anael--Oh such lovely work on the completed feather quilt! And the garden maze (?) quilt is another winner. The green border pulls it all together doesn't it? I have found that working on smaller projects the border and binding add the final zing to the whole piece. Your friend will get a kick out of the F&V quilt. Really like the circular quilting pattern you used to reinforce all the round pieces of fruits. Why won't you use school glue again?
So fun to see everyone's projects whether PC related or not. Still waiting on my piece for the Bernina. I haven't tested the accuracy of the Janome to 1/4" seams yet QE, so have not tried to remake dublb's block or any other sewing. So what have I been doing in the meantime for sewing. Well My sister's doing a GMFG and that got me thinking that I will give that a whirl as I mentioned a while ago. Boy I'm hooked on hexi's! Got the little hexi quilt top done while watching TV, now to finish it off with batting and backing. Cutting pieces for the big blue and yellow quilt and when I get a few small scraps I reuse the freezer paper templates for little flowers. Yup I'm a goner.
Okay out I go to the land of sunshine and a little breeze.