View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 03:18 PM
IshtarsMom

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I love the pileated woodpecker. I hear them often but don't often see them. There used to be a big tree stump in the back of where I live and one day I got the opportunity to photograph one. I was thrilled. Sadly, someone decided to remove the stump. The woodpeckers love dead trees and stumps as they are a gold mine of things to eat.

Another day, I live in a condo, and there is a three story stairwell where birds often get trapped on the upper level. A neighbor knocked on my door because that was the case and she didn't know what to do. Well, I've rescued birds like that before. You need to throw a towel over them, scoop them up, and release them down the stairs. Except I'd always done it with little birds. This one was a Flicker - another woodpecker variety - and they are HUGE. I managed to get him to safety without getting either of us injured but I admit I was more than a little intimidated. No pictures this time!

My hat is off to your husband - that pileated is one big bird and could do a lot of damage if he wanted to.
He said he thought about that laughing but that it paled in comparison to the lion...Don't know if I should add this now but it is just too funny...Amazing things happen to this man!

We moved to a small town years ago in Texas. He needed some things from the lumber/hardware store...parks the car.. gets halfway to the door when he sees customers holding the door shut with terror on their face...knows he didn't dress all that well, checked to see if he had remembered to zip up...when they start pointing behind him...He turns and sees this adult male lion trotting toward him...can't get in the store...can't get back to the car...Said that was it.. he knew he had survived Viet Nam and Dallas only to be eaten by a lion in the boonies..dropped to one knee and said "here Kitty, Kitty". The lion had been adopted by the business owner from a circus and gotten out of his cage. Thankfully the owner was hot on his trail and saved the day... and DH