Thread: Cutting Table
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 AM
weezie

I'm quite sure that my cutting table is too big for your needs; it is a 4' x 8' piece of 1/2" thick plywood, with the same sized cutting mat on it. I have it raised to a height of 38", which is both low enough to reach almost across the table, but high enough to spare me back pain. Underneath the plywood is a heavy duty shelf unit that I acquired when a book store threw it out. It has open shelves all along both sides, so that I have storage space on either side under the table. The shelf unit, however, is NOT 38" tall so, for support, I've stored some things on top of it, snugged up against the bottom of the plywood (out of sight, but not out of mind). I also have a "safe spot" under there where I store my very, very large acrylic rulers. On either end, I used to have sawhorse "legs", but I kept tripping over them so my son made me two shelf units for end supports, just the right size to store fabric which is still on the bolt (and no more tripping over sawhorse legs!) The shelf units he made have just enough indent on the bottom so that my feet will fit under the edges while I work.

It is perfect for me, but I have it in a basement room that is dedicated to sewing/cutting, so not a space problem.