Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Pat of Abington

I am in the process of making a second christening dress for my newest grandchild. The baptism was put off due to the availability of both godparents. One is a merchant marine and the other lives out of state. The original dress is for a newborn. The one I'm making now is a medium. The baby is now 6 months old. I make the christening outfits usually for a shower gift. They are 100% cotton. I don't play around with jewels as they could possible scratch a baby. I do use washable lace or trim. I'd give your daughter a choice, a simple dress you are comfortable that you can do successfully or she could possibly purchase one. Some of the Irish shops sell beautiful linen dresses. Don"t drive yourself crazy about it. You won't enjoy the process. Pick a simple one. Watch the Missouri Star quilt video demonstrating a skirt for little girls. She was a stage clothing seamstress and shows how to gather in a really simple method. Try it out first on a scrap. I'm going to do that this pm. I also suggest that you complete the top and then attach the skirt which has whatever trim you want to use already on it. It makes the whole process so much simpler. Good luck!