View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Denise

Originally Posted by Denise
i wasn't up to doing any sewing last night so i decided to read my Complete Guide to Quilting and i read about using bed sheets for backing and this is what it says in book. I'll quote from book:
TIP: Bedsheets for backing- don't do it!
Although it's tempting to use a bedsheet because of its size, sheets don't make good quilt backs. The thread count is much higher in sheeting than in common quilting fabrics. The tighter weave causes the needle to break the sheet's threads when it pierces through, rather than pushing between the threads as it does with quiting fabric, thus leaving holes and diminishing the stability fo the sheet.

I haven't finished a quilt to do any quilting so i don't know how true this is, i guess its up to the individual if they choose to use bed sheets. I just thought i'd pass on what i read last night. Good luck with your choice.
The title of the page is PLANNING THE QUILT BACK
this area speaks of how to determine the measurement and how many pieces are in the backing. Then at the bottom of page is this Tip that i posted above. It doesn't say about the needle breaking it mentions that the needle causes the sheet's threads to break when it pierces through, then pushing between the threads as it does with quilting fabric.