View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM
HouseDragon

Interesting thread!

First off JenniePennie your quilt is gorgeous!

I just took a modern quilt class: the Modern Mystery Quilt that was on the AQS site last fall. *LOL* When I read the description of the class my eyes jumped to the words "Mystery", "uses lots of Fat Quarters", and "I used Batiks" and totally missed the word "MODERN".
I learned a lot including that "modern" isn't my thing even if it is made with batiks. No surprise there!

I don't care for the whole modern quilt thing: not the colours (lime green and orange = icky), not the fabric designs (boring or glaring), not the plain jane quilt patterns with giant rectangles and circles. I've let all my magazine subscriptions lapse except Quiltmaker and keep that one only because of Bonnie Hunter's column. I used to go in Borders and buy scads of quilt magazines every month. In the last six or so months I've looked through scores of magazines in grocery/big box stores and bought one or two or maybe three: and magazine publishers wonder why their sales are falling ..... Yes, it's wonderful we've attracted new quilters with their own thing but the industry needs to remember that "we" are the backbone and that if "we" don't spend our money, they will be in trouble.

Meanwhile I feel blessed we have three local quilt shops on our tiny island with lots of fabric choices in styles I love: BATIKS (my first love), Asian, and Hawai`ian (including "beachy" patterns).

I also buy online from Connecting Threads, Hancock's of Paducah, Crazyquiltgirl, Jinny Beyer, and a couple of others. I've collected multiple FQ packs of Civil War Reproduction fabrics and Wm Morris inspired fabrics.

If I love a fabric line I buy the FQ sample packs or if I REALLY LOVE a fabric I'll buy serious yardage. *LOL* It's a good thing I love Log Cabins and other scrappy quilt patterns (see Bonnie Hunter's site).

There's enough in my stash to (I hope) last until the "modern cycle" has run its course.