Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 PM
quilter1

Default Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

By chance this week, I met some quilters from the guild I used to belong to. I no longer attend because of this same attitude. Can someone please let me in on the secret? Are machine made quilts really second class? Quilts made entirely by hand are somehow in a higher class, those quilts are better than mine? Quilters who only hand piece and quilt are really better than those of us who use a machine?
I really do appreciate hand quilted quilts, and I always have a hand quilting project on the go, but most of my quilt projects are pieced and quilted by machine. At least, this way, I complete things. OK, they are not heirloom quilts, but I think that my had pieced and quilted ones are.
Maybe I am just too sensitive, but the elitest attitude really makes me sad. I am surely not a pro at quilting, but I have been quilting for 24 years and have completed many projects, which have been received with positive comments and thanks. I think my work could hold it's own with most others.
Why is it that we all just can't play nice and appreciate each other's work? I have seen some magnificent machine made quilts and some gorgeous hand made ones too. I must say, though, that my friends on this board are encouraging and so willing to give praise and positive feedback. I am so glad that I am a member of this group. Thanks everyone.