View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:00 PM
DogHouseMom

Default Tension issue on Spartan (99)

Well, I got my new foot controller for the Spartan, replaced all the wiring on it, and got all the electrical hooked up and working (motor even turns in the right direction! Major accomplishment for this electrically challenged person!).

I had a feeling that when I was cleaning the machine I had messed up the tensioner, so I sewed a bit and ... huge birds nest, so yes indeed I had messed up the tensioner.

I took it completely apart and followed directions to get it set right. I did have a problem getting it set ... I cannot get the tension dial to get to zero (I have the newer 99 tensioner with the numbered dial). But I decided to give it a go anyway.

I CAN get a perfect stitch IF I set the tension to 8!! I was using a 5wt 3 ply cotton thread top and bottom, #14 needle on two pieces of regular cotton fabric. BEAUTIFUL stitches!!

Now the question ... should I be concerned that I have to set the tension so high to get a good stitch? I would think the normal tension for this combination needle/thread/fabric would be around 5.

Should I mess with it more or just call it quits and sew with the tension at 8??? Any hints on getting the tensioner set correctly??