View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 AM
romanojg

All machines are different. I have the Viking Diamond Deluxe and did FMQ for the first time this weekend and loved it. With it I only have to push a button to tell it I'm doing FMQ and then chose which foot I'm going to use, it has two choices. The machine does the rest. It has thread positioning which really helps. I didn't go full speed but did go kind of fast and then moved the fabric and it turned out great. Now maybe I'll start getting quilt tops done. I had no nest or anything; I had been so nervous about trying FMQ. I'd still use this machine in class next week because then you can get help from the instructor unless you have another machine to use. I've read on here and in books where some adjust tension, others do not, and some drop the feed dogs, others do not. It may be a personal thing, not sure. Leah Day has a great website on FMQ with lots of tutorials and she does it on basic machines. You can learn alot from her. A really good book, recommended to me by a few great quilters is, Machine Quilting Made Easy by Maurine Noble, she also recomends a few books in her book. She started machine quilting back when it wasn't really accepted as a good thing to do and then you never would have found a machine quilted quilt at a quilt show. Good luck.