View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Missi View Post
My guild is having a salad supper next week and I want to try something new. I took cornbread salad last year and it was passed over by most. Not sure why last potluck I took it to everyone wanted the recipe. It's a salad supper so we have everything from meat salads to desert salads. Does anyone have a great salad recipe they would share? Thanks!
Here are two of my quick salads for groups: Frito Salad and "Green" Salad
Frito Salad:
1 pkg. regular size Frito corn chips, 2-3 regular size chopped tomatoes, iceburg lettuce shredded or chopped for this salad I use aprx 1/2 head, Small bottle of Catalina Salad Dressing, 1 medium finely chopped green bell pepper, cheddar cheese grated, small purple onion finely chopped, 1 can of Ranch Style beans, drained, Mix tomatoes, pepper, onion, lettuce and stir well, add Fritos, Catalina aprx. 1/4-1/2 cup, or desired amount and same for cheese (desired amt.), LAST so the Fritos do not get soggy. I normally take everything prepared in small plastic baggies and mix it all together just before serving. Sometimes I add about 1/2 -1 lb of well cooked bacon, chopped finely. Prepare in a LARGE bowl makes a large salad.
The original recipe called for Catalina, so I have no idea what other dressings might taste like with this salad. Everyone seems to like the flavor that Catalina give this. This can truly be a meal on it's own. When I get extremely lazy with cooking, I often make this for DH and self for evening meals, especially during the summer.

"Green" Salad - my children's favorite, (40 & 37) they still ask for this one.
1 large pkg. of any flavor DRY jello, (my family prefers Lime - hence "Green"), 1 large carton small curd cottage cheese, 1 large carton of Cool Whip (Thawed), 1 large can of (Drained) crushed pineapple, chopped pecans if desired. I mix the DRY jello and pineapple together, until jello is well mixed, then add the cottage cheese, and Cool whip and mix all well. Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of chopped pecans if desired and mix well. This all needs to really be stirred well to get the cool whip and cottage cheese mixed with other ingrediends. TA-DA quick easy and cool salad. This can be made the night before, but needs to be kept refrigerated until ready to use.
Using the amount given, this makes a large salad, you may use the small amounts of each ingredient to make a small salad. This salad is really good in hot weather, because it can be used for a salad or a desert.

Here is my recipe for Cornbread Salad(My daughters favorite)
1 pkg. each of Mexican cornbread and regular cornbread- cook according to pkg. directions I cook both pkgs. together, 1 -2 bunches of green onions chopped, 1 lb. well cooked bacon, (finely chopped when cooked), 1-2 chopped tomatoes, 1 med. size chopped green Bell Pepper, 1 cup of mayo. I allow the cornbread to cool completely, then crumble finely into the bowl I will be using - makes a large salad -then add all of the ingredients and stir well, and finally add the mayo, and stir WELL. I have to make this each holiday for DD.

What is your recipe? Would love to have it if it is different from this.

Enjoy your lunch, and let us know how it goes. Some people are just too picky with salads, me for one - I only care for 2 dressings, French and Catalina or nothing at all) lol. I do not do pasta salads well, but love most every other kind.