View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 AM
LynnVT

If we want Quilting Board to exist, it's important that advertisers get some results, I think. So I often click on ads of interest, such as Marshall Dry Goods, or other quilt related ads. It is amusing that the ads are clearly tailored to the subjects of many posts. So if someone puts something in a post about eating doughnuts, there might be a Dunkin Donuts ad appearing at the top. In that way, they are spying. But the other side of it is these advertisers support the website. I don't pay to see Quilting Board, though it must cost quite a bit to create and present, even if those doing it are often volunteers. So I pay by supporting advertisers if they are of interest to me. What others say about good spyware and being careful, is true of course. As with anything else, be careful. However, nothing is truly free except the sunshine and fresh air, though I pay plenty in taxes to live in my home.
Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
At the top of the page are ads that help to support the Quilting Board. They are called affiliate ads. They earn a little bit, depending on the advertiser, either by pay per click or pay per purchase. There is no harm clicking, which I do all the time to support the board that we all use so much.