Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Default How Do You Feel About Heirloom Style Quilted Baby Quilts?

A customer sent me a baby quilt and gave me free reign to do whatever I want with it. She is super laid back and has been happy with everything I've quilted for her, though to date the quilting has been pretty run of the mill - a pantograph one one quilt, echoing on another, and a simple free hand edge to edge on yet another. When she sent this quilt I gave her an idea of what I'd like to do with it, but now that it sits with me I'd like to go a little crazy and do some heirloom style quilting. She said to have fun with it ... which is freeing yet scary at the same time! I'd like to use lots of feathers, scallops, and I was thinking of including the new baby's name in the quilting. Now this is a risk because it's pretty intense quilting, and I will be sure to keep it from getting stiff. I'm not going to charge her any extra, I wanted to do this to surprise her and make the quilt special for her Grandson - but also to get some practice with a design idea I've been itching to try. The quilt is two colors - lots and lots of negative space....and in my mind it's BEGGING FOR FEATHERS! How would you feel if someone did this for you? Would you be pleased and excited or would you feel they over did it??? I want it to be very classic heirloom style quilting...but I wonder if some people wouldn't like that style for themselves?