Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Ranchwife

I am making my first quilt using QAYG because it is a queen sized quilt and I don't have a long arm either. I don't want to pay to send it off either. I am making a log cabin quilt with 9.5 inch blocks. I made the blocks, then cut the batting the same size as the block, and the backing 10.5 inches square. I glue basted the sandwich together and stitched in the ditch for each square to quilt it together. I am using the method shown here (click on "here") almost exactly until the final step of stitching the back closed. I assembled two rows of blocks and realized that you can't SID to close the back seam of each block because if you do, you end up with unfinished section at the conjunction of the 4 blocks. I ripped out all the finishing SID last night and hand stitched them. It looks so much better. I'm really enjoying the QAYG because it is easier to manage one block as opposed to an entire quilt to muscle around. I also like being able to use different backings for each square - it makes the quilt look double sided. See this post about the problems I had with the closing SID.