View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Vridar

Default New to Forum and Sewing with a Question

Hello,

I've recently retired. I've had a fear of the mysteries and arts of sewing and sewing machines. My parents, wife and all have said, "Don't touch my sewing machine, it is adjusted and I don't want anyone messing with it." Many times I needed to repair something but was stigmatized against "it is adjusted, leave it alone."

Recently, I tore a boat cover and found I could buy a sewing machine, fabric, and thread for less money than a new cover or repair. I did just that and I'm hooked. I now understand, "leave it alone." Adjustments can be daunting, but, I've mastered it. I have taken the vintage collection, repair and re-home machines tangent. I've made three blankets for grandchildren to take to sporting events (they were patches sewn) but, I don't think anyone would call them quilts. I've made lounge slip covers, shoulder bags, etc. and completed practical projects until now I'm fabricating projects of no purpose. As I say, I'm hooked.

I do have a question though. Reading some threads I don't think anyone here can answer it. I have collected machines. I tell my wife this collection is only to re-home them. Which ones do I re-home? I've fallen in love with each and feel as if I'm thinking of ditching a loved one when they are ready to re-home.

Ron