View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i am working on the 'spring bouquet' quilt now- fusable applique is alot different than hand applique---and these are really easy because the pieces are already all cut out for you so a few steps are eleminated. i light box comes in handy---if you have a lightbox, or can make one then you can place the applique pattern down- tape it in place, place the background square over the pattern; tape it in place---then start placing the pieces...the laser cut pieces have a fusable that is kind of sticky-but can be repositioned- so you peel the paper backing and place the pieces...when you have them all placed the way you want them you take the block to your ironing board & press everything (once pressed they are no longer re-positionable) then you stitch everything down -- i am using invisible thread on top, cotton in bobbin and a small zigzag)
if you do not have a lightbox (which i don't so this is how i'm doing it--) i tape my pattern to a window on a bright day- then tape my background square over the pattern and i trace the pattern onto the fabric with a pencil (lightly-i'm using one of the fine-line ceramic lead pencils)
then when i have it all traced i put it on my table-with the pattern beside it so i can look at it as i go- then place the pieces same as using the lightbox-then press-then stitch.
if you visit Edyta's website she has hints, tips, free patterns, tutorials to help you along the way (she's the designer---her web address is on the pattern pages/ laser cut pieces package)