View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
QuilterMomma

Silvia, so sorry the borders stump you. To me they seem to frame what else I have done with the quilt and they eye always goes there. My decision for the borders is generally decided by the inside of the quilt and the pattern of the quilt. If they are large, the best is to do something in them and not just leave them alone with straight lines. If they are at the 6" or smaller, and if they are wavy, then simple works real well or you can do a continous feather, leaf, or cable design, even pumpkin seeds works great. Gives motion, takes up the room and adds excitement to the rest of the quilt. If the borders are a busy print, go with simple, no one is going to know the difference. I like to do a swag design as well, which can be done easily by just putting in pins where you want to come down at and then pin at the peak of the crest. Simple, easy, and not very painstaking. I hate to mark my quilts to get done, but sometimes this is best. If they are larger than the 6", you can always divide them up and do two designs, which looks cool ie 2" then 6" or 5" and 5" then quilt in two different designs. Looks really cool that way. You could do triangles that are spaced evenly, simple marking again, but then you could do off set triangles which look nice also. It has always been my experience, I like to enter quilt shows, where a border will make or break a quilt. You have done so much work already, a little more will make you happy with the end result. There are many ways to quilt your borders without doing several start and stops.