View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
qbtexas

Default question on Niemeyer paper piecing seams

Getting started on a pattern and fabric that have been "aging" nicely in the closet...time to sew!

This is my first time doing a Judy Niemeyer paper pieced pattern. (Briar Patch, if anyone is interested) In the instructions, she says to sew the seams 1/4" beyond the printed line on each end. Trouble is, when I do that, when it's time to fold the paper to set up for another seam, that 1/4" of stitching does not allow me to make a clean fold. But if I don't stitch beyond the printed lines, I am worried that the seam will start to pull apart at some time.

Thoughts? Should I just do the seam as instructed, but if I need to fold across it, just release the paper at that point? (this may be the answer) I just don't want the seams to pull apart. This project is a bit ambitious as it is, no matter that the pattern says it is for beginners.

(the other unrelated challenge is that I bought --years ago--what seemed to be an unofficial kit of fabric; which may have gone with this pattern, or another foundation pieced pattern I bought at the same time, but the colors seem to go better for this one. However, the fabric amounts do not. So I'm faking it and pulling other fabrics from my stash to fill in. Fingers crossed! That's what happens when you buy stuff at IQF years ago and then wait many years to get back to it.)