View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM
quiltstringz

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
If you have a good cutting mat and rotary cutter and 24" ruler, you can fold the fabric into quarters, matching selvage edges and cut through 4 layers (you will have to slide the ruler or use 2 rulers butted side to side to finish the length in one cut).
That said, with 16" wide strips, I would have no problem ripping....I ripped ruffles for 75 square dance dresses (2" for sleeves and 8" for bottom of skirts) with no problem many years ago when we didn't have rotary cutters. I would still be cutting if not for ripping! I made clips along the edges 2" apart (and then 8" for the larger ruffles) and enlisted a friend to grab every other cut and walk across the room away from me as I held the other every other ones! Went fast, no waste, I stitched them end to end, rolled the hem with that funny shell foot (before serger) and ruffled the other side. No waste....but others will disagree, I can guarantee! lol
This is what I would do. I have done this before and most times I am not really losing anything. I would do a test rip and se what you think.