View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
There was a thread recently about batiks and the amount they bleed here and the consensus was that it didn't really matter where you got them from - quilts shops or chain stores - some bled a lot and some hardly any (I still don't pre-wash btw).
I've no experience of hand sewing other than binding, but wasn't aware of any difference.
One thing I would say though, is that if you are bothered about 'right' and 'wrong' side, which ususally look very similar, is to mark the wrong side with chalk or some such before you start.
there is no (right/wrong) side with batiks, or any other 'hand dyed' fabrics---either side can be used as you want- sometimes a design may be more prominent on one side- or there may be slight variations- use the side you like at the moment- that is one of the great things about batiks/handdyes- you don't have to reverse patterns for applique- either side can be used anytime-no need to worry about it (there are people who make watercolor quilts who use the 'back-side' of printed fabrics sometimes too because they want a more 'muted' shading...there is no right/wrong side to any fabric--just a front & back--either can be used---i pay for both sides of my fabrics...)