Thread: Singer 247
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by CanadianGirl
There is one at my local thift shop for $20 and I have a 30% off coupon...it works...I should just buy it and get it over with...anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts on this model if you do? It must be all metal parts, it weighs a ton...
If the machine works and is in decent to better shape I'd buy it. They use flat cams and those can be found. Like Dan I prefer the all metal machines and despise plastic gears, but the machines will sew very nicely when properly serviced. Replacement gears can be found if needed. You just have to look for them. Here's one site that carries them:
{ http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx }
Some machines are harder to work on than others, but with patience and perseverance, you can do it.

That's the rub though, most sewing machine mechanics don't want to so they poo poo the machines as "not worth fixing" and then try to sell you a new plastic piece of junque that's all plastic. Go figure.

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
I'm 99% sure that the Fashion Mates had numerous plastic gears. Though they look all metal, they surely are not. I would not, personally, have anything to do with it. It is destined for the land fill. Unfixable!!!

Dan, I respect you for you knowledge and smarts, but this time I can't agree with you.
Those machines can be fixed, "IF" you want to.

I've done three vertical shaft top gear replacements so far and have one lined up for a total gear replacement surgery. If I can do it, most anyone can. You've just got to want to.

I only do them so I can flip them. 90% of the machines we use for our own projects are all metal.

Joe