View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM
seamstome

I am binding mine this weekend. A King, God help me!! I did the original pattern not the updated one. It should be much easier for you. I used Bali pops and a kit but then I added much more fabric. You will need to do some math but I would buy it separate.

Assuming you are making the size that requires 3 Bali Pops, I would not buy the Bali pops. I think you would do better with third to half yards and strip cut. Bali pops are about 15 bucks a yard really when you figure it plus there were some colors I just didn't like. so three Bali pops is 2.5 inches times 2 times 3 which is 15 inches per color. I think you can get away with 2 inch strips to make the arcs, so I am pretty sure 1/3 yard of each color would do it. I think I used 30-35 prints for the arcs.

At the quilt show in Cincinnati, there was a company selling first quality Batiks for 9ish a yard. I can get them here at about 10 a yard on a shop hop or a sale. I would make the trip into a BIG shop or use somebody like Hancock's or Beverly's or Thousand Bolts. There is no reason to pay more for the 1895's than 9-10.

I needed an entire bolt for the backing.

Good luck! I also did it on my own. You MUST be very organized. My King with flying geese border was about 3000 pieces. Make sure you have the newer pattern.

Last edited by seamstome; 04-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.