Thread: Hand Quilted
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Not those made in china slave labor sweat shop ones. And judging by the handquilting and what I can see of the pictures that is exactly what the OP has.
I agree that it is very likely a Chinese made quilt. I've got one (purchased before I started quilting) and I saw three more today at a garage sale. The one's at the garage sale I thought at first were heirloom quilts because of the fabrics (retro prints) and when I asked the seller if a family member had made them she said "oh heck no ... I bought those at Sears". Sure enough, I found the tags even though there was no printing left on them.

Anyway ... the quilting on both mine and the one's she had were almost identical ... looooong stitches. Those mass produced quilts have to be made quickly hence several stitches are put on to the needle at the same time resulting in longer stitches.

That's my suspicion anyway. That plus the fabrics in the OP's quilt look fairly modern.

If you don't want to put the time into repairing a commercial quilt, I would look for remnants of the label. If I were a label on that quilt I would be hiding in the seam where the prairie points meet the quilt.

Other than that ... it's a pretty quilt. Why not fix it?