Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Here's what helps me.

First, I don't iron the binding in half before starting; this allows the binding to roll easier.

Second, after sewing the binding to the back side of the quilt, I *iron* the binding away from the quilt (again, not ironing a crease into the binding). This step helps a lot to make it easier to fold the binding over evenly to the other side.

Third, I glue baste the binding to the front, just barely covering the stitching line. Glue basting is worth every minute of the time it takes, and it doesn't take that long (especially if I have done step #2, which helps a lot).

If using a serpentine stitch or zigzag, I sew the binding onto the front with the middle mark of the presser foot lined up with the edge of the binding (that has been glued down). Serpentine is very forgiving, and as long as you have done the above steps you will be sure to catch both sides of the binding. If using a blind-hem stitch, I try to stitch just a thread to the left of the stitching line. To do this, I use my fingernail to lift up the glued binding just slightly so I can see the stitching line in order to stitch right next to it. (It's a *lot* easier to use a serpentine stitch or zigzag. Most decorative stitches have a center line that needs to fall almost on the stitching line, and it is that straight-line precision that makes it so difficult to get the stitching to look good on both sides.)