View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Cogito

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
This thread is very interesting. I was approached by a lady who had a quilt her mother had made, probably more than fifty years ago. It was a variation of a grandmother's flower garden as the motifs were not round but oblong flowers. It was all scrappy but the fabrics were of different weights etc. The background fabric was white pique. You know the stuff we used to have dresses made of in the sixties and seventies. It is a whole lot thicker than regular cotton fabric. I thought I could do something with it until I really started studying the quilt. I think at least half if not more of the six sided pieces would have to be replaced. Mixing old and new fabric usually doesn't turn out well. I will admit that I still have the quilt and am secretly hoping that the owner will pass away or forget about it entirely. I am to chicken to admit that I can't do anything with it. The second concern is that if I do attempt to replace all of those pieces she would not be willing to begin to pay me for my time and frustration.
Oh mpspeedy2, please don't hang on to her quilt. That would be so sad if she didn't get it back, maybe she has children who would cherish it just the way it is. It is ok to admit you don't have the passion it will take to get this fixed and then just gracefully return it to her. That's better than just hanging on to it.