View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
NJ Quilter

If you've never done hand quilting, certainly look at some you tube videos. I can't speak about any of the classes mentioned above. I will second everything IQ2 says regarding looseness of the quilt in the hoop. It makes the 'rocking' part of hand quilting much easier.

Find a thimble that fits you well and has deep enough 'dimples' or ridge to hold your needle. I use Roxanne 'betweens' in usually a size 11 for my quilting. I find them sturdier than lots of other brands. You might want to start with a larger size (smaller number) to begin. I would also recommend a rubber finger tip (like used to be used for counting paper/money). They can be purchased from an office supply store if not elsewhere. Very useful in grabbing the needle.

Enjoy the process. It's not a race. Come back and ask any other questions you have.
Make yourself a test sandwich first. Just some muslin front/back (or scrap fabric) and any batting really just to get the feel/rhythm of the process. The goal is to have your stitches consistent - not perfect or tiny. And make sure you use a 'hand quilting' thread. The Americana brand at JoAnn's is nice and it's cheap - $1/spool! But there are plenty of other brands as well. I use whatever is available in the color I want.