View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Joyce29

Default Early Kohler Sewing Machine

I picked up this little half size machine today and am trying to identify it. There is a silver plate that reads "Kohler Maschine, Bestes, Deutsches Fabrikat". The only number I find is below the bobbin winder and is 609249. If I shine a light on the arm I can barely read "Emil Forst?, Luben" (maybe Forstry). It is very similar to the Tryer model on this page: http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Kohler%20sewing%20machine.htm
This says that Kohler, along with Dietrich and Winselmann, started a sewing machine company in 1871 at Altenburg, Germany. Eventually Kohler established his own company. - There are chips of mother of pearl inlaid into the bed of the machine that circle the gold deals. The seller also gave me a case top that she said went with the machine but I don't think it is from a sewing machine (maybe an olde typewriter?). There is another silver plate by the bobbin winder that has "QLT 339" at the top followed by a chart of numbers (Nos. 10, 90-150; 11, 60-90; 12, 40-60; 13, 30-40; 14, 20-30; 15, 10-20). When I did a Google search I found a number of items in Russian listing similar machines for sale in Rubles! - This is about as far as I've been able to get. Any further info you folks might have would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails img_3463-resized.jpg   img_3464-resized.jpg   img_3470-resized.jpg