View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 AM
jmoore

Originally Posted by GammaLou View Post
It depends on the quilt pattern and plan. I love cutting it all out and having the pieces ready, but if I'm doing a scrappy quilt with lots of blocks, then I will cut as I go. Usually I do all the blocks then decide on the borders after I have the top pieced. Lots of times, I change the order of the borders or the colors I'm using. I like to see how they look on the finished piece.
same here, if it is a simple pattern like Turning Twenty or Just Can't Cut It then I cut the top and borders so the quilt goes together quickly. I almost always wait on my backing and binding until I see the quilt top done, often I do not purchase those fabrics until I get a feel of how I want to finish it off.

That being said, the Tumbling Block quilt that I have been grueling over for the past year, I have been cutting as I go since I made my own templates and have not decided the actual size that it will be at completion. Luckily, I bought plenty of fabric. I will let my son choose his backing when the time comes.