View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
creativeladysd

I found this site completely by fate considering when I sat down at my computer it was to check the amount of my cell phone bill and I still haven't done it yet! I'm a divorced 51 year old mom of two grown sons. One will be 34 next month and the other was 28 in June. I also have a remarkable, amazing, and loving daughter-in-law who is the mother to my 4-year-old "smile in my heart" (which is how I refer to him) grandson! She also takes very good care of my 34-year-old son and is the rock in his life when he wants to fly away.

I have been unemployed for 13 months now and I'm about sick of filling out applications and sending my resume everywhere in this state that has a job that looks remotely like something I might be interested in doing. It has been a long and frustrating year. In the past couple of months I decided to make some changes in my life. First, I colored my hair again for the first time in three years and took about 10 years off my age. I also had 9 inches of my hair left on the salon floor.

My next direction was to look through the various craft supplies I have in my house and begin planning for Christmas gifts. I have 7 sisters and 5 brothers in addition to my own brood. My father is still living as well. I have a rather large project ahead of me to get things made before Christmas. Oh well, I've been known for being an 11th hour person, sliding into home plate at the last possible second.

I have always loved quilts because I remember watching my maternal grandmother making the quilt tops and I am ready to begin my own journey into quilting. I have done quite a bit of sewing throughout my life and the prospect of organizing fabrics into a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors and designs excites me. I have been a crocheter since I was 15 and have designed afghans in my dreams, which tells you how involved I become with my craft arts.

I know I won't have any quilts ready for Christmas this year but you can bet I'll do my best to see that I have one for everyone in my family next year. I will stick with my father, siblings, and children (and daughter-in-law) for the coming year. If I am able to meet that goal, then it is on to spouse of siblings and behind them comes nephews and nieces. I have great-nephews and nieces as well so I doubt I will ever run out of family to make quilts for and if I do, then it will be time for me to make a good stack of quilts for my linen closet. Since I am an enrolled member of a Native American tribe, I will venture on to making star quilts for special occasions and ceremonies.

Heaven knows, with all of the different types of creative arts that I do, I could spend my entire day working on nothing else and still never have enough time in my day to accomplish what I would like to. So, I need to be satisfied with what I accomplish and look with satisfaction on what I done for that day.

I look forward to advice from all of you who have been at this much longer than I have and hopefully I will make some good friends along the way. Having an online quilting guild doesn't prevent anyone of us from learning from each other. We are only a computer away from each other and there are so many ways to communicate on them. I look forward to the communication often. :D