Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 AM
QuiltnNan
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I've bought the pricey marking pens and they always dry out sooooo fast! Now I use Crayola washable markers. They are super cheap, you get 8 colors, so you can mark ANY color fabric easily and they wash out beautifully.

On another thread on this topic, I mentioned that I did a little experiment with the washable markers. I used each color on two different pieces of cream colored quilting fabric. On one piece I marked (again with each color) and set aside for a week. On the other piece, I again marked with each color, but I heat set the marks and put it aside for a week. Then I rinsed both pieces of fabric in tepid water. In seconds (about 5 to be exact) every bit of color came out of the piece that was simply marked. Nothing was left behind. On the heat set piece, all but the blue and the green disappeared completely in about ten to fifteen seconds. The blue and green faded, but did not totally disappear. (I know these aren't meant to be heat set, I figured why not see what would happen since I was taking the time to experiment anyway!)

So I just wanted to share these results, but of course, as with any marker, test them on a scrap piece of the fabric in your quilt before marking the whole thing.
thanks for sharing your experiments