Thread: Need a manual
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
J Miller

These old iron machines are oil dependent. There are NO bearings, only steel shafts through iron bores. Keep them oiled and they'll purr. Let them dry out and they slow down, struggle, make horrid noises and run rough. Over oiling them isn't as bad as under oiling them. You can always clean the excess oil off.

Re-oil everything that moves as you sew with it, and as the oil works it's way into all the dry places, and dissolves and displaces the old gummed up oil she'll quiet down and begin to sew smoothly again.

The little felt wick in the bobbin case latch spring should be there and be kept moist with oil. But over half my machines that use that wick don't have them. No big deal, just put a drop of oil on the hook where it moves within the bobbin case and it's good to go.

Don't put the belt on too tight, just tight enough to sew without slipping. To tight drags the machine down and can cause wear on the motor.
If the motor has lube tubes it takes Singer Motor Lube ( grease in the tube ) ONLY.

Also I agree with Miriam, I suggest Tri-Flow oil and Grease for everything EXCEPT Singer motors. As I said above for those use Singer Motor Lube ( grease in the tube ) ONLY.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-30-2013 at 11:11 AM.