View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Violet_angel

Default Machine advice for a newbie

Okay, so here's the deal. I am a self-taught quilter, and I still consider myself a beginner. I have been sewing on a chain store cheapie that was intended for mending. Since there are no appropriate presser feet available and the harp space is very small, I don't feel I can move forward in my hobby without a new machine. I obviously have no attempted FMQ yet, nor have I really dove into machine applique. (I tried on my cheapie, and the results were not the greatest.) Eventually, I want to incorporate embroidery into my blocks as well.

So what do you suggest in terms of machine(s)? Do those of you out there have machines for each, or do you roll it all into one? I have a bit of dilemma in this department, as the only truly full-service, reputable dealer in town is Bernina, and they are expensive. The service, classes, and community are outstanding, but it does come with that price tag. I think the only appropriate current machine that would do it all is the 750, and I could add the embroidery module later. On the other hand, Janome appears to be highly recommended as well. I cannot 'test drive' one unless I drive an hour an a half away, but the 6500 seems like a good bang for the buck (and that dealership is supposed to be good as well). In that case, I would just add a separate embroidery machine down the road. Anyone have any input or experiences they'd like to share? I'd appreciate it!