View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 AM
thequilteddove

I agree w/HillCountryGal. It's customary to get an approximate turn-around time from your LAQ. Also for them to tell you what it's going to cost you up front for their services. My work load usually lends to a 6-8 wk turn-around. Many times I can get them done sooner, but after years of experience I've learnt to put a "life happens" buffer in. The reason for 6-8 wks, is because I do it part time & some times life just gets in the way. Also, there are rare occasions when my machines breaks down, or tension goes bonkers causing eyelashes on a quilt, or a tuck appears on the back of a quilt. I will completely rip out and fix situation of this nature and trust me it takes a LONG time to do it. Before I'll accept a rush job, I make sure that it's not going to ill affect any turn-around deadlines I already have in place. If I should be taking more time than I had promised (which I strive not to do), I call/email my customer although there can be situations in life that can make us not want to talk to anyone for a short period.... If a customer is getting concerned, there's nothing wrong w/them calling and finding out what the status of their quilt(s) may be. I have received calls within two weeks from customers even though I promised 6-8 wks. We LAQs understand that these quilts are your babies. We understand the cost, the love & the time invested in them. With all that being said, it is helpful that our customers let us know right away if there is a 'drop dead' date for when the quilt is needed. That way we can let you know up front whether or not we can meet it. Most of us go by the date we physically receive the quilt and place them in the queue on a first come first serve basis. A satisfied customer may try other LAQs because they are cheaper or faster, but eventually they stay with/go back to the LAQ that gave them the best product/service for their money. They may even pay a little extra just because the quality of workmanship & overall service is worth it.