Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Last night Wilbur and I cleaned up a Singer 128. He was bug eyed and mouth open while we worked on it. He knows what is in sewing machine guts but that one was new. He turned the wheel and I oiled. And he exclaimed about the little boat -er - "shuttle, Wilbur" - "BOAT GRANDMA, BOAT." So today I went over it again. It has paint coming off the plate - it would be rough for sewing and some of the paint has turned green around that rough area - the bottom of the machine was fine - makes me wonder if someone used liquid wrench or something to eat the paint. Any ideas how to smooth all that up? It amazes me how well those old machines can be cleaned up and be made to work. This one turns very nice now. There was no rust on the shuttle.
Miriam, I have had good results with small areas or chips with touch up paint that you can get at an auto supply store. The kind that has a small brush like a bottle of nail polish. Your 128 is black and the paint I used worked well. On a large area it would be a different story because the brush strokes would be more visible.
~G~