Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

Went to preview an estate sale and there was an enormous amount of fabric. I knew the lady who had passed away. She used to come into the salon where I worked. It was a massive stroke that took her life also. Her children never used a sewing machine. They didn't have an interest in passing the art down through the family or so they thought. While previewing one of the youngest granddaughters was playing with some fabric on an old child's sewing machine. She was having a ball. I looked at one of the daughters and said "you may want to keep that one at least." They decided to go through and let the little girl decide what she wanted. Turns out when the granddaughter would spend the night she and Grandma played on the sewing machine. That day the girl didn't go to school because she just didn't feel well but she was better at Grandma's. That little girl is 17 now and she still has all of Grandma's patterns. That 17 yr old has her own studio in the walk up attic of their home. She has helped some of the other grands and she still has the sewing machines (5) that belonged to her grandmother. I was able to get some of the material but a lot of it wasn't sold. She has many of the needles that her grand used, on display. I feel so blessed to have met that lady and her family, especially Emmalee. That Christmas many received small quilts from Grandma's stash. Emmalee has everything organized. She was able to also help inform everyone what was what. She has completed many of the WIPs. She only gave quilts to those who had an interest, mainly the grands. Grandma's art skipped a generation but still was passed to another.