View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Lori S

I understand your issue. When I first saw a longarm machine all I could think about was getting oine. Then the practical side of me did some thinking... and I soon figured out that even if I made 6 queen size or larger quilts per year , the cost with all the upkeep it was better for me to send them out. Even though I would have loved that every stitch was mine on all the quilts, it was not worth it. The learning curve and practice to keep my skills at there best was not going to match the reality. I also evaluated that by using a pro I could pick the pro whose skills/style best matched the quilt. I also figured out that if I used a pro , I could spent more time making some of the more complicated quilt tops. I know I will always have quilters envy of those who can do the beautiful longarm work, but figure it balances with the piecing envy they( long arm pro's) have of some of the great piecers there are.
So figure out what you like best . If you do think you want to go forward with a long arm ... do as the others suggested spend the $$ to get to a show where the machines are being shown and spend time test driving and talking to the dealers. That will be the best $$ spent.