View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 03:08 PM
ArchaicArcane

Default How would you test this?

I have a spool each of several different threads here.
  • Sulky
  • Connecting threads (partial spool possibly 100 yards)
  • Aurifil
  • King Tut
  • Mettler
  • Gutermann
  • Robison Anton
I'd like to do some testing to see which of the threads I "like" the best. Thread cost is not the factor at the moment. I already did some calculations on that, and found that Aurifil, masterPIECE, and several others are cheaper on average than Mettler or Gutermann.

A couple of things I know to test:
  • Lint in the bobbin case (and around the top tensioner)
  • How it lays on the fabric, when piecing and when quilting
  • Breakage during normal sewing (i.e. not using messed up tension settings just to see it break)

What else should I be looking at?

I'm thinking of using a 301 for this test, because it always just seems to work. Additionally, I'll be using a thread stand, so that the tension is hopefully a known constant, since some of these threads are stack wound and some are cross wound. Any other suggestions for the machine to use? I think most of the machines I have are listed in my signature.

I guess I need to come up with a project I want to do several times over in order to have a "fair" test, any suggestions? I'd like it to be a relatively short test, so I'm going to say not a King Sized Quilt each.

Maybe a mug rug? Other thoughts? I still have 2 - 3 featherweight case liners to build, and untold numbers of foot controller bags, maybe that's a good choice.

The other hope is that this will jump start me back into some quilting / sewing. I haven't been making the time lately, and the next project (a lap quilt for DH, but the blocks he's chosen are way more difficult than the 4" squares I used on my first and only quilt so far) is a little daunting, so I haven't begun cutting it or planning it out.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for needles for a particular thread, etc, I'm all ears. I'm thinking a topstitch needle, but all I have is a size 14 at the moment.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-03-2013 at 04:02 PM.