View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
ArchaicArcane

DHM - The thought is to test both. I'm sure that I'll decide I like one for piecing and one for quilting, or more than that, but I don't really expect to like one for both. Who knows though. Yes, sheen is another good one to look at, I think it will influence how it looks for sure.

I had learned a lot about the thread weights on the youtube channel that Superior threads has. An excellent use of time for anyone who wants to make quick little improvements to how their machine deals with thread. You have a good point. I wonder if a spool of masterPIECE is in order as well. It would be more "fair" to go up against all of the other 50wt threads. (All of the rest are 50 wt, 2 or 3 ply) What you're describing is also probably why so many people like the aurifil for piecing. It would take up less "space" and make the piecing seem crisper I think.

I definitely need to step out for some needles tomorrow then. I have quilting and topstitch needles in 14s only. The goal is to give each one the best chance at success. Generic setups I don't think would be "fair" in this case. The King Tut is labeled: Topstitch 90/14 so that's where I'll start with it.

Thanks for the machine recommendations. I've used 2 of them for quilting already, so I will be familiar with the feel of them.

PollyTink - I have rarely heard a bad thing about Aurifil, besides price, but that seems like a misconception. It's one of the cheapest threads on my list when you figure its price per yard / meter. I'd say it's a safe bet to try it.

The only threads on my list that are stack wound are the King Tut, and the Sulky thread (which I just realised is a 30wt thread).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]411626[/ATTACH]

(I'll probably use a more neutral colored Mettler thread. That was the first one I grabbed. And the Coats is too old to really make a fair comparison.) There's no reason you can't use a cross wound thread on your machine, just put the spool in a teacup behind the machine, or on a stand alone spool holder. What I learned about weights of thread is that it's not really standard. Use it just as a guideline. 2 and 3 ply can affect the thickness, for sure. This is again where I'd recommend Superior's youtube channel. It's where I learned about that, and the spool holders and the differences between stack wound and cross wound spools and where each excelled. I think it's going to be a huge undertaking, and I expect it will take me more than a couple of weeks. But I've been wanting to do it for some time. I think in the long term, it will save me frustration and money to settle on some favorites and forget about the rest.

N27 - I LOVE their site!! There's so much information and just the bits I've read, and their YT channel have taught me so much.

I think I'm going to try to make some foot pedal bags. Apparently there are 18 machines here with cold toes, so it wouldn't be wasted effort. That should start out with about a 12x12 block. I think if I did a "simple" D9P, or something with a couple of HST too maybe, it should give me a bit of an idea about the threads for piecing, then I can quilt them.
Attached Thumbnails img_5459.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 05-03-2013 at 07:24 PM.