View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Traditional Quilter

I have a Horn table similar to the Koala you are talking about. I wish I had the right extension as the space on mine is too small to hold anything but my sissors and pins. I have the left extension like the one Quilter in MN photo shows but not the drawers below. have a separate 5 drawer cabinet on rollers that fits under the left extension when not in use. My Horn also has a front extension that I leave up all the time. I don't have an electric lift, but have no difficulty moving my machine with the manual one. I love my table. It has served me well almost ten years and still looks brand new. I don't know about the taller cabinet, but for me using my table for a cutting table would be terribly inconvenient. I have my project spread all over the table, and I wouldn't want to move everything every time I wanted to cut. I have a separate folding cutting table that I've had almost 20 years, and if I couldn't have anything else in my sewing room (including my sewing cabinet), I would keep this table. I cut on it, design on it, baste on it, and have even used it as an extra serving table at parties. It is the best and most used sewing tool I own. My previous cabinet had door shelves on the left side, but I found that my project would get caught on the shelves and everything would end up tangled in the quilt or on the floor. I have a lot of thread and store it on wall racks. The are inexpensive at Joann's. Be sure to get the proper insert for your sewing machine hole. If you can get an insert the same material as the table it will be easier than Plexiglas to machine quilt on. You can't go wrong with your cabinet no matter what options you choose.