Thread: Cuutting mats
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Weezy Rider

Originally Posted by Doreen View Post
I have the Martelli cutting mat. I've had it for over 5 years. They are 2 sided. One side is yellow and the other side is purple. It also has a grid for squaring up blocks. It has been rolled up and left in the car when it was hot. It went back to lying flat. They are pricey but well worth the $$. When you buy at a quilt show they are cheaper. No fuzz. I make a lot of quilts a year and no "cuts" on the mat.
I just ordered one at a quilt expo. The mat I have is decent, (Big Mat) but due to the inch layout, I can't use it where I want it. I have trouble with certain colors on the Olfa and the yellow lines.

How do you clean the Martelli? The salesmen were fairly new and didn't know. I've got 505 on the Big Mat, tried rubbing alcohol, and the lines started coming off. The Olfa will scrub, but if you cut batting, you have a mess. They salesmen did mention Windex. I don't pick the mat up from the table. So coffee stains, 505, ink, cat hair and other cat deposits get all over it. The deposits get cleaned up as soon as I see them, coffee and other stains not so much.
I mark Mat Board for pics on the table - however I keep an old large Olfa to cut the mat board on in a different room.

They are behind in shipping, so I won't get it for a month. Switching colors might help with seeing a few fabrics.

Thanks