Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Jennalyn

Default New Sewing Room - solutions for a smaller space

This was my brother's small bedroom until he moved out, at which point it became Mom's space to do what she'd like (as well as a guest room when needed). It just sort of existed for a couple years as a catch-all storage space with a small desk for her computer. After visiting our Aunt Ruth and seeing the lovely quilting setup she had, we decided it was high-time to set up a sewing space of our own.

There were a few things that had to stay: (1) behind the door into the room is book storage and litter pans, (2) the futon exists as couch and bed, (3) Dad's guitars on the wall are not an option (they're in every room in the house except my bedroom).

We spent a little while measuring, debating, and planning out the pieces we'd need to get the most for our money. We ended up getting a desk at IKEA and buying an extra top for the cutting surface (mad love for IKEA selling everything separately!) The desktops are about 48" x 32", give or take. We then mounted the separate surface on three cube storage units from Kmart, two 3x3 and one 3x2 for the end. This gives us lots of extra storage, a very deep work surface, and enough room on the other side to scoot around for easy cutting. The top is secured with velcro picture hanging strips!

Two other machines are now stored under the desk as well in their respective cases. And for quilting, the desk can be raised ALMOST to the same level as the cutting surface for an extra-large area to work with!

A view from the other side. Storage all around! I think all of the storage on this side will be turned into scrap bins, but we're still debating.

Then you turn around and face the wall-o-fabric closet we inherited from a departed friend of the family. Thank you, Marion! The bottom of the closet has since been filled with two old, short bookshelves and is quite packed.

Last edited by Jennalyn; 05-04-2013 at 09:39 AM.