View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 PM
lbosma

Sounds like you have almost heard enough on this subject but I have to weigh in. Let me first say that my sewing background is extensive and part of why I have such a strong opinion. Our High School sewing labs used Singers and Elnas and our Community Colleges and Universities used Berninas. The Singers were junk. The Elna's were good until I purchased one in 1994 and it was a lemon. I didn't think I could afford a Bernina, but could have paid for one I am sure with all the complications of an inferior machine. I finally purchased a Bernina 1260 QPE in 1997 and it is worth more than diamonds and gold to me. I am retired from teaching now, but work with a fantastic group of ladies doing Charity Quilting. "My" ladies have a variety of sewing machines (Janomes, Jems, Viking/Husqvarna sp?) and they are only adequate at best. Recently I helped two of these dear quilters each purchase Bernina's bottom of the line 1080 mechanical sewing machine (last of the cb hooks I think) and they have reached sewing nirvana. I believe the purchase price for the 1080 was $799. Note that for a quilter there are add-ons you won't be able to live without that I wish Bernina would just include. The Patchwork foot, free-motion foot, walking foot (pricey at $150) and extension table are must haves. I sew with people ages 10 to 85 years old and hands down they fight to sew on the Berninas I have in my studio. I would save for a Bernina before I wasted money on a sewing machine that will only serve to frustrate its user.