Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 PM
fireworkslover

My Mom was a seamstress for most of her life (98 yrs.). Starting about 5 years ago, every time I'd visit her, I'd leave with a bundle of items. Some was fabric, patterns, notions, needlepoint yarn, embroidery floss, etc. A year ago, my brothers and I cleaned out their cottage, as Mom had moved to the nursing home and Dad had moved to Assisted Living. At that time her sewing machine went to my sister-in-law and I took the cabinet. I also got a dresser filled with the remaining craft items both she and my Dad had. My Dad had watercolor painting supplies, a labidary toolbox, drawing and painting pads. My other sister-in-law is an avid knitter, so she took most of the knitting supplies. About the only thing we threw away was 50 + year old thread. I still haven't made it all the way thru that dresser to actually see what's stashed in each drawer. But I'm so glad I have it. My Mom passed away in mid March. I know she wanted me to have her sewing machine, but since I have a machine that is much newer and works well for fmq and my sister-in-law didn't have a machine, that's why it went to her instead.

One of my quilt guild members passed away last year and her daughters thoughtfully went thru her stash and donated lots of it to our guild. Some gets used for door prizes for those that help out as Holders & Folders at Show and Tell. Other FQ's and yardage went for a fund raiser we had.

It seems like such a waste if that fabric would just get thrown away or burned! So many people make quilts for charity, that fabric could easily be given to churches that make quilts for charity or other groups.