View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
ArchaicArcane

DHM - The mettler is Silk Finish Mercurized cotton. That takes up the whole circle though.

FF - Looking at the weights of the thread, I don't think I could pick just one. The heavier threads (the King Tut, the Coats and Clark, and the Sulky for instance) no, I don't think I can piece with them. I will try each of the threads out, rate them based on what they're meant for, and the lint in the hook area, etc. This will help me pick the threads that I like best, and let me focus on them, rather than grabbing new / different / cheap whenever I'm anywhere. Part of the reason for this is that thread IS expensive here. 3000m of MasterPiece (the only spool I could find today) was $35. I sure hope I like it! If I can narrow down to a couple of threads that I like, I would like to put a bulk order in for say a year or two's supply. I know that the right tool (or right thread) for the job makes a lot of sense, but if I can standardize to some degree, I think it will help me in the long run. It doesn't mean I won't experiment, just gives me a good strong foundation to work from.

BIG - placemats are good, I might have to make them for the trailer, the house, the patio set... It's the two of us, and we don't have a lot of company. I was also thinking a quilted foot pedal bag, but the placemats would show the quilting off better...

It has been looking like the general consensus is an 80/12 for piecing. And Superior recommends Topstitch needles almost across the board. I picked some of those up today, because all I had were 90/14. Use what you like for thread! That's why I'm doing this. I will record relative tension settings, etc, and then by the end, know what I like, what seems to get along with my machine, or not. (Though the tension adjustments should make this mostly moot)

If you're using a 80/12 needle,.. does that mean the cotton / poly is about a 50wt? I couldn't find a straight cotton today that was more than a 35wt in Coats and Clark. I'm thinking I will need the 90/14 for that, or possible a 100/16? (It didn't -seem- like it was thicker than the King Tut, so I thought I'd start with the 90/14...

I'm definitely trying to be careful and match the thread and needle to the project. For now, I think it will be regular quilt cotton, and some warm and Natural (because it's what I have). This has been historically one of my weak spots, so I'm making a special effort for this. Usually, I go "yup, there's a needle in there,.. let's go!"

So far, I'm thinking 80/12 for piecing, 90/14 for quilting, or possibly 10/16 for the 30wt Sulky... ?