Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM
cricket_iscute

I am in the same situation. Too many machines, too little space. I will be selling some. How to decide? Well, does the machine do anything the others don't, and do I need that feature? Do I have the features on this machine and other machines I want to keep, so that I could let go of this one? Is the machine special to me for some reason, like the Singer 301 my friend left me in her will? Is it a favorite, go-to machine? What is the quality of the machine? A plastic wonder will go out the door a lot sooner than an all-metal machine. How much space does it take up, and what does it give back in return?

Joe, I have one of those Kenmore 158s that I have to finish meching. It is in a very good table. I do like the decorative stitches, but will check other "keeper" machines and see if I can duplicate them. One issue with that machine is that 12 stitches to the inch is as small a stitch as it will make, and while that is fine for clothes, I do mostly quilts and need a smaller stitch. I can always do clothes on a Singer 401, 500, or one of my more modern machines. I think this one, taking space in the living room, is going to go.

There's another machine with just a straight stitch and zig zag. It's good for volunteers helping with homeless quilts. But do I want to continue to keep that project, and that machine? I've learned the hard way not to let them touch a machine I cherish. That machine takes up a lot of space. It is in perfect working order, though. And it needs a couple feet, high shank. What would you do?

I'm thinking that I would like to sell some machines at a tag sale I plan to have in the next month, but would people expect tag sale prices?

And how did I get so many machines (about 30) anyhow?