Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Nanny's dollface

Default Computerized embroidery machine for a beginner?

I have accepted an offer for a new position and my goal was to purchase an embroidery machine as a congratulatory reward. I am a 5 month quilter and I have the bug to quilt. When I looked at buying a sewing machine, last year, a week before I even thought I would live to quilt, i tried several machines in my price point and ended up with a Viking Emerald 118, which I love. It s a work horse for sure and a pleasure to sew. When I was looking a machines, yes it was a Joanne's, I saw a Viking Ruby that I fell in love with but knew it was beyond my capabilities and purse...but still drooled over it.

Years ago, I spent $900 ( probably in the late 90's) on a used Janome Memory Craft with an embroidery hoop but never learned how to use the embroidery functions ( shop to far away). The Janome used floppy diskettes and hoops. This machine is in a box packed somewhere in the garage since I moved 2 years ago and never retrieved because the last time I tried to sew with it, which was about 5 years ago, i found that it did not work and needed an overhaul.

so now, I am thinking.....
1. Do I purchase a Brother 300 from Walmart for $600 and see if I really like the embroidery machine and teach myself how to use it; or
2. Relocate my Janome and spend the money to have it rehauled- and try to teach myself how to use it; or
3. Wait until Joanne's( closest sewing store) has a trade in sale and trade the Janome as is without the overhaul for a Ruby with a 60 month payment plan and free classes?

i have seen a ruby for sale on Craigslist but again there are no classes for that and that machine was $3000. I don't want to spend that amount of money when classes are not included.

Please help me sort through the questions I should ask myself when making a decision.
thanks again all- you are all so helpful!