View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM
kitty123

Default Quilt On The Go vs. Traditional

I just recently finished a “quilt-on-the-go” and want to highly recommend the book that I used, Quilting-On-The-Go by Carolyn Forster, and I also wrote a review for it on Amazon (Jill K) that describes this different method using frames to blend the blocks together rather than sashing to separate them http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-----g...ting+on+the+go Before I started that quilt, I made two very simple small quilt tops using fabric I saved from about 20-30 years ago that I had used to make dresses and doll clothes for my daughters, and just some interesting prints I don’t know why I bought back then. But I decided I wanted to try to make a quilt, so started cutting 2 1/2” squares and sewing them together and ended up with two (ugly) quilt tops, and wasn’t sure how to continue, when I got this book and took out all the old scraps again because I thought I found an easier way to make a quilt. I picked a very easy pattern and I finished hand piecing all the blocks (I made 30 blocks so it would be king size) when I decided to participate in an online BOM mystery quilt http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...l-t211327.html so I quickly pinned all the batting and backings on the quilt on the go blocks and every time I finished work on the BOM I would have another block handy to quilt. Well, the quilt-on-the-go is finished, all hand pieced and hand quilted and king size and it felt like it didn’t take any time at all, and the BOM is another quilt top folded and put away until I work up the courage to put it together and quilt it.

I only took one picture of the process, which shows using Pinmoors to hold the batting together so it wouldn’t slip apart, and I slid a very thin ruler under the area I was stitching together so my needle wouldn’t catch the quilt top. I also did that for the backing. I actually completed the two halves, and then put it together down the center. My quilt police also gave this quilt his seat of approval for being fun and easy and finished!
Attached Thumbnails qotg1_edited-1.jpg   qotg2_edited-1.jpg   qotg3_edited-1.jpg