View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 PM
carrieg

Default Cross Hatch Quilting a small wall quilt

No math method of cross hatch quilting. I found a tutorial at all people quilt for no-math cross hatching & went from there. Some of my pics in this tutorial were taken after the fact. (My pics are all at the end of this post. Don't know how to get text, then pic.)

I took a piece of adding machine tape and cut it the exact width of my inner center. I folded it half, then in half again, repeating until I had it about ¾” wide. I unfolded it and laid it on my quilt top.

I show it here with pencil marks on the folds. Then I placed a pin where each fold fell. I did this on the top and bottom. I used the same piece of paper for the longer sides. That way you will get square cross hatching. If you did a separate folding technique for the sides, you will end up with diamond cross hatching because my top is a rectangle.

I took my long ruler and using a chalk pencil, started drawing a line from pin to pin. I started in the corner, the shortest lines first. When you come to the appliqué, just pick up the pencil. Continue to draw lines until both directions of cross hatching are marked.

Then I put on my Janome Accu-Feed foot (walking foot) and quilted the lines. I did 1 quadrant of the quilt at a time, 1 direction at a time. I had to stop and start around the appliqué. It’s not hard to do. BUT it is very tedious quilting! But oh the results! I am so happy with how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails flower8.jpg   flower9.jpg   flower1.jpg   flower5.jpg   flower6.jpg  

Last edited by patricej; 05-11-2013 at 12:25 AM.